Noche de Cuentos
REFORMA believes that storytelling and the oral traditions are key to the transmission and preservation of culture, as well as a significant tool in developing literacy skills. Noche de Cuentos was launched in 2010 to promote and preserve the art of storytelling within our Latino communities in the U.S.
REFORMA will award 8 mini-grants of $300 to support a Noche de Cuentos program during Latino Heritage Month, September 15 – October 15, 2019.
- Public libraries, academic libraries, school libraries, and community organizations in the United States including Puerto Rico are eligible to apply.
- The library or the person submitting the application must be a current member of REFORMA.
- The program must celebrate Latino culture. Proposed programs must focus on the oral traditions and be storytelling based, with an emphasis on cultural literacy activities.
- Funds will be provided to pay for promotional materials, decorations, hired storyteller/performer, and other related expenses as specified in your proposal. Only 10% of monies can be spent on refreshments.
- The program must take place during Latino Heritage Month, Sep. 15 – Oct. 15, 2019.
- Winners must agree that publicity for their event will identify REFORMA as sponsor/partial sponsor. Winners agree to use the Noche de Cuentos program logo and flyer/poster templates provided by REFORMA.
- Winners must submit a final report by October 25, 2019.
- Winners must be willing to have their program featured on the REFORMA website, listserv, social media accounts, and Newsletter both in written and photographic detail.
- Applications must be received by 5:00 PM (PST) on July 19, 2019.
Selection criteria will be based on:
- Creativity of the program
- Level of community involvement
- Impact of the project
Winners must submit a final report by October 25, 2019 to include:
- Photos of the event to post on the website/newsletter
- Number of participants
- Ages of participants
- List and description of activities
- List of other pertinent information that you would like to share about your program
Important Dates and Deadlines:
- June 19 – July 19, 2019 – Submit proposals
- July 19 – July 31 – Proposals will be reviewed
- August 1 – 9 – Winners will be announced and monies disbursed
- September 15 – October 15 – Libraries host Noche de Cuentos
- October 25 – Reports due to the REFORMA